Eagles Take Game 3, Advance

RWA catcher Chris Christianson reaches to place the tag on the Saints’ baserunner in Monday’s game one. (Photo/Martha Ladd)

RWA catcher Chris Christianson reaches to place the tag on the Saints’ baserunner in Monday’s game one. (Photo/Martha Ladd)

SUMMERTON – After splitting a doubleheader with Clarendon Hall Monday in round one of the SCISA Class A state playoffs, Richard Winn Academy hit the road Tuesday, breaking out the bats for a 10-6 win over the Saints in the deciding game.

The win advances the Eagles to the next round, beginning with a doubleheader Friday at St. Johns Christian in Monks Corner. Game three, if necessary, is slated for Saturday at RWA.

The Eagles pounded out a dozen hits Tuesday, powered by Conrad Sharpe’s 4-for-4 night. Coker Gilbert went 2-for-4 with a double and 3 RBIs. Elijah Tucker, Chris Christianson, Gunnar Hensley and Ben Lang-Spittler each went 1-for-3, with Tucker roping a 2RBI double and Lang-Spittler belting in a pair of runs. Matt Taylor went 1-for-5, scoring one run.

After using four pitchers over two games on Monday, the Eagles leaned heavily on Gilbert to get the job done in the finale. Gilbert did not disappoint, going the distance on the hill. Only three of Gilbert’s six runs were earned. He also struck out five, walked a pair and gave up eight hits in the win, stranding seven Saints’ baserunners on the night. The Eagles left eight on the bags.

The Eagle defense committed four errors Tuesday, but the Saint’s returned the favor, committing four of their own.

Richard Winn jumped out to a 1-0 series lead Monday, taking game one, 7-3.

Taylor went 2-for-4 with a double in the first game, while Tucker was 2-for-3 with 2RBIs and a run scored. Gilbert had a 1-for-2 outing, scoring twice and Bryant Carvalho was 1-for-3 with an RBI.

Cameron Cooper earned the win, going 6 innings and giving up all 3 Saints’ runs. Cooper surrendered five hits, three walks, struck out five and hit four batters. Cooper pitched to one batter in the seventh and was lifted for Taylor after issuing a leadoff walk. Taylor sealed the deal, giving up a hit, a walk and striking out a pair. Taylor also plunked a batter.

The Saints bounced back in game two, hanging on to a 4-3 win to force game three. The Eagles were down 4-1 going into the bottom of the seventh and scored a pair before the Saints ended the threat, stranding two. The Eagles put together a 10-hit night in game two, but stranded nine runners on the bags.

Taylor was 4-for-4 with a run scored in the losing effort, while Tucker was 2-for-4. Sharpe went 1-for-4, with a run scored, while Cooper, Blake Pauley and Mitchell Gibbons each collected a hit.

Tucker took the loss in the second game, giving up 3 runs in just three innings of work. Tucker walked three, gave up three hits, struck out one and hit one batter. Pauley worked the final three frames, giving up a run on two hits, a walk while striking out six.


Contact us: (803) 767-5711 | P.O. Box 675, Blythewood, SC 29016 | [email protected]