Fire Consumes Wateree Home

RIDGEWAY – A waterfront home on Lake Wateree burned to the ground Sunday afternoon after a lightning strike during Sunday’s powerful thunderstorms. According to reports, lightning struck a nearby tree, traveled down through the roots and into an underground power line. The accompanying power surge caused the electrical panel box to blow, touching off the home at 55 Suede Lane, just off Rockbridge Road, approximately 6 miles southeast of the Wateree State Park.

Richard Lehnhoff, assistant chief of the Dutchman Creek Fire Department, said the alarm came in at 7:41 p.m. Sunday, with the first unit arriving at the scene 2 minutes later. Lehnhoff said four stations – Dutchman Creek, Mitford, Southeastern and Ridgeway – responded to the call, along with the Fairfield County chapter of the American Red Cross and Duke Power, which removed a downed power line from the scene. Lehnhoff said the home was fully engulfed by the time firefighters arrived. No one was at home at the time of the blaze and no injuries were reported from the fire. The 760-square-foot home was a total loss, Lehnhoff said.

Contact us: (803) 767-5711 | P.O. Box 675, Blythewood, SC 29016 | [email protected]