Bengals, Griffins Split

Chandon Davis (12) threads Eli Lake (11) and Khalil Shakir-Harris (15) in the lane. (Photo/Joe Seibles)

Chandon Davis (12) threads Eli Lake (11) and Khalil Shakir-Harris (15) in the lane. (Photo/Joe Seibles)

WINNSBORO – The Lady Griffins held off a late Blythewood rally Tuesday night, while the Bengal boys’ squad did much the same as they beat back Fairfield Central.

Lady Griffins-46, Lady Bengals-41

Tanise Davis poured in 18 points for Fairfield Central, including a 3-point dagger with 2:15 remaining, shattering a 37-all tie and sending the Lady Griffins down the home stretch.

The Lady Bengals struggled early, dropping in only four field goals in the first half. But from the foul line, where Fairfield Central sent them with consistency, Blythewood was solid. Free throws kept them in the game as they trailed only 23-17 at the break.

The Lady Griffins pounded the boards in the second half, building a seemingly insurmountable 31-17 lead before Lauren Harley shook Blythewood out of its slumber. The senior guard stripped a Fairfield possession and raced down the floor for the easy put-in at the 4:18 point in the third and the rally was on.

Blythewood trailed 35-28 at the end of three, and while the Lady Griffins went cold, the Lady Bengals heated up. Harley pumped in 18 of her 21 total points in the second half to lead the comeback bid.

But Davis’s late downtown shot signaled the end as Blythewood slowly ran out of steam The Lady Griffins’ half-court press was too much for Blythewood, which closed the gap but could not overtake Fairfield.

BHS: 13-4-11-13 – 41

FC: 11-12-12-11 – 46

BHS: Aubria Greene 5, Lauren Harley 22, Kearya Jackson 2, Keoinna Ray 2, Amari Lott 6, Keshunia Jackson 5. FC: Jameka Henderson 3, Tanise Davis 18, Chyna Moore 6, Delexius Cloud 6, Cristin Gray 2, Tamisha Woodard 3, Nyasha Crumblin 8.

BHS-60, FCHS-56

The Griffins took Blythewood to the wire Tuesday night, and while redeeming somewhat last Friday’s 84-44 drubbing in Blythewood, Fairfield Central could not close it out, falling 60-56.

Khalil Shakir-Harris provided the juice for the Bengals, scoring 19 on the night. Brandon Adams led the Griffins with 20.

The contest was neck-and-neck after 8 minutes, with the game knotted at 16. The Bengals pulled ahead midway through the second, but were never out of reach, and by the end of the half the Griffins had nosed out front, 33-29.

Within a minute of the opening of the third quarter, the Bengals had tied the game at 33, with their half-court trap giving the Griffins fits. The Bengals got into some foul trouble late in the period, sending Adams to the line on consecutive trips down the floor. Adams was good each trip, helping narrow the gap to 42-41 in the waning minutes. By the end of the third, however, the Bengals had pulled away again, enjoying a 46-41 edge.

But the Griffins did not fade, staying just in Blythewood’s shadow until 3 the hard way by Adams made it 54-52 Fairfield with 2:55 to play. Keith Matthews quickly tied things back up for the Bengals with a lay-in, and the Bengals finally pulled away for good.

BHS: 16-13-17-14 – 60

FC: 16-17-8-15 – 56

BHS: Ramel Johnson 4, Keith Matthews 9, Jackson 3, Bowers 3, Lake 7, Shakir Harris 19, Bailey 7, Womack 1. FC: Brandon Adams 20, Marcus Gibbs 12, Roseberry 5, Pauling 4, Davis 7, Edmonds 2, Richmond 4.


Contact us: (803) 767-5711 | P.O. Box 675, Blythewood, SC 29016 | [email protected]