Griffins feel the Bulldog bite

Junior defensive lineman Harrison Kennedy (43) stifles the Newberry ball-carrier. | Kelly Duncan

NEWBERRY – Fairfield Central opened their season on a three game losing streak, but righted the ship last week with a win in Calhoun County. Next in the sights were the Newberry Bulldogs. The game came down to the wire, but a failed Griffins’ two-point conversion allowed Newberry to slip away with a 34-32 win.

The game was forced up due to Hurricane Florence and underwent an hour-long weather delay on game day.

The Bulldogs put the first set of points on the board after a touchdown from Ahmorae Wilmore and the Bulldogs took a 7-0 lead with 5:24 remaining in the first.

The Griffins came back in the second quarter when Will Barber found the end zone on a 68-yard score with 1:20 remaining before halftime. The PAT was no good and left the Griffins trailing the Bulldogs 7-6. Barber finished the game with three touchdowns.

After getting the ball back in their possession, Bulldogs’ quarterback Zay Chalmers connected with Ahmad Willis for another Bulldog touchdown with less than 10 seconds remaining in the second quarter.  The Bulldogs went up 14-6 before a scoreless second quarter.

Kentrell Caldwell added siz for the Bulldogs in the third, but a missed PAT by Munoz left the Bulldogs with a 20-6 lead.  This was the first of a combined 46 points scored in the second half

It took a while, but the Griffins answered back to the Bulldogs with a 70-yard Barber touchdown with 3:40 remaining in the third quarter. A failed two-point conversion attempt left the Griffins down 12-20.

The Bulldogs went up 27-12 when Caldwell found the end zone with 51 seconds left in the third.

Fairfield answered back with nine minutes remaining in the game, but the two-point conversion attempt to take the lead was unsuccessful.

With 1:04 remaining, Wilmore found the end zone for the Bulldogs again for what turned out to be a game saving insurance score. The PAT was good, and the Bulldogs took a 34 – 26 lead.

With time winding down, Barber put six more on the board for the Griffins. The potential game tying two point conversion to take the lead was stuffed when Newberry’s Davonta Ruff broke up the play for a final score of 34-32.

The Griffins travel to Westwood next for a clash with the Division 4A Redhawks.

Contact us: (803) 767-5711 | P.O. Box 675, Blythewood, SC 29016 | [email protected]